Who We Are
The Academy Group (AG) is a unique social enterprise that leverages earned revenue from financial investments to create world-class opportunities for young people from the nation’s most resilient communities. The Academy Group demonstrates the promise of a new model for identifying, developing, and sustaining a diverse national pipeline of future leaders, employers, and change agents.
We were founded based on a unique model. One that creates pathways for black and brown students, if they demonstrate relentless pertinacity, to build wealth and become socially just change agents, ideally through careers and leadership positions in our portfolio companies. No other organization in the world is built to do this.
Ultimately, the Academy Group aims to generate a new class of innovators and leaders by delivering long-term opportunities for exceptional young people to own, operate and create successful companies across multiple sectors.
The Senior Accountant, as a member of the finance team, is responsible for general accounting and financial reporting across multiple entities, both for profit and not-for-profit. Responsibilities including A/P, A/R, processing payroll, monitoring bank activity, executing functions related to the reporting of financial statistics and providing internal stakeholders with information to make decisions and to develop resourceful solutions. Supports monthly close process and performs and reviews budget to actuals on a monthly basis as well as supporting the build of the annual budget. Maintains and operates the general ledger system in regard to monthly reporting, and is consistently evaluating, developing, and improving department controls, systems, and procedures, increasing accuracy and efficiency.
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people. Strong sense of urgency, initiative, and drive; ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple responsibilities in a fast-paced environment of frequent change and ambiguity.
- Service oriented with a can-do positive attitude, welcoming, considerate, resourceful, tech-savvy, and quick on your feet with a strong sense of commitment to excellence and meeting goals.
- Self-directed with sound judgement. You are able to independently break down a project into actionable steps and move along the process through completion. You are naturally motivated to succeed, can effectively prioritize your time, and take initiative to get things done on your own. You have the ability to meet a constant stream of deadlines.
- Growth mindset. You hold yourself accountable to your work, have a positive outlook, and welcome feedback.
- Detail oriented with strong analysis and written skills; ability to operate a personal computer and adapt to various software systems.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in accounting or finance
- A minimum of 5 years working experience in Accounting or Finance
- Accounting designation (CPA, CMA), or an equivalent combination of related experience and education, preferred but not required
- Experience or familiarity with Sage INTACCT, QuickBooks Online, Bill.com, expense reimbursements
- Strong technical skills and experience with HRIS systems (preferably ADP)
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel
- Support AG in becoming more data-driven in its decision making:
- Coordinate data entry and data tracking across multiple projects, including building customized data tracking tools and reports as requested
- Use data to produce compelling messages that will serve to influence strategic decision-making.
- Triangulate financial, business, operational, and impact data to create a more cohesive view of the organization’s performance, risks, and opportunities
- In collaboration, develop insights that help build AG’s internal systems, procedures, and infrastructure (e.g., data capabilities, performance management metrics, streamlined operations, etc.)
- Coordinate month-end financial close for Academy Group entities (including payroll and credit card reconciliations, prepaid entries, bank clearing activity, gift revenue recognition and receipting, review of general ledger detail, Statement of Position, and Statement of Activities to make appropriate adjustments, maintaining reconciliation schedules)
- Manage, process, record and ensure accuracy of payroll for full time and part time staff bi-weekly.
- Reconcile, analyze, package, and distribute monthly budget to actuals reports to all budget leads including the creation of periodic presentation materials and/or presentation delivery to internal stakeholders.
- Lead and/or support various audit requests, both financial and benefits related.
- Manage procurement, accounts receivable process, including vendor set up, obtaining complete and accurate documentation, and assigning coding in alignment with the budget and internal policy.
- Provide banking support by managing daily cash balances for adequacy, forecast payments, and anticipate cash-flow issues and manage wire, credit card, and other payments.
- Reconcile credit cards, petty cash, and review and process employee expense requests and reimbursements, ensuring compliance to internal policy.
- Manage financial, banking, payroll bookkeeping needs for Amplify Property Solutions (APS), an Amplify start up. Delivery quarterly management reports to LLC Partners. Coordinate with Director of Finance on compliance and tax filings. Implement and document standard financial operating procedures and controls.
- Perform a wide variety of Human Resources support including benefit administration, audit and reconciliation, wellness initiatives, handbook updates and communications, on/off boarding support for full-time and seasonal staff.
- Maintain an orderly, electronic, audit-ready Financial and HR filing systems.
- Safeguards employees and the Organization by keeping financial and HR information and plans confidential.
- Other duties as requested or assigned.
This position is based in Chicago, IL
Compensation and Benefits
The Academy Group offers a competitive salary and comprehensive medical, vision, dental and 401K package.
The Academy Group
The Academy Group (AG) is a unique enterprise founded to realize the long-term potential of young people from underserved communities across the United States. Designed to tap into the deep wells of often overlooked talent that exists nationwide, the Academy Group empowers youth to thrive in school, work, and life.
Amplify Chicago (Amplify), as a unique initiative founded under the umbrella of The Academy Group and fueled by the same belief that talent is ubiquitous, launched our first pilot cohort of young men in February 2019 and a second cohort of young men in July 2020. Together, Amplify and The Academy Group will accelerate our impact by taking strategic advantage of economies of scale, shared learning and promoting cross collaboration.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Continually required to stand, walk, sit
- Continually required to utilize hand and finger dexterity
- Occasionally required to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel or crawl
- Continually required to talk or hear
- Continually utilize visual acuity to operate equipment, read technical information, and/or use a keyboard
- Occasionally required to lift/push/carry items less than 25 pounds
- Occasional exposure to wet and/or humid conditions (non-weather)
- Frequently work near moving mechanical parts
- Occasionally work in high, precarious places
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Amplify Chicago/The Academy Group is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. The Academy Group does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.