Fueled by the belief that talent is ubiquitous, the Academy Group unlocks opportunity for young people from the most resilient communities to realize their full potential.
The Academy Group is a fourteen-year journey that develops students’ core understanding of wealth creation, business, leadership, and justice topics. We accept rising fourth-grade and tenth-grade students. Their journey begins with summer and school year programming, including experiential learning, high school, college, and career awareness. Also, the students have access to academic acceleration and differentiated enrichment experiences.
The College Advisor Summary
The College Advisor manages a caseload of college students and provides support to the high school program. The College Advisor supports the college planning and scholarship acquisition support of Academy Group students. In addition, the College Advisor designs and executes programs that strive to develop our college students’ acumen to make well-informed decisions to successfully navigate college and transition to career through a focus on academic success, leadership development, financial wellness, and career readiness.
The College Advisor provides individualized, small group, and whole-group support to young people through semester office hours, Saturday and Summer Academy, and college and career events. The College Advisor builds partnerships with families, higher education institutions, and community-based organizations to promote student post-secondary success. The College Advisor assists in the planning and preparation for the successful operation of Saturday, Summer Academies, and parent events.
The College Advisor’s approach to work should reflect the core values and habits of the Academy staff: tireless focus on excellence, determination in spite of obstacles, impeccable integrity, willingness to work hard, ability to learn from multiple sources, relentless focus on results, constant reflection and self-awareness, zest, social intelligence, and pertinacity.
Duties and Responsibilities
Program Development, Management, and Direct Service Delivery:
- Through collaboration, design and deliver a strategic model of college support programming for four-year college students including financial aid, navigating the college transition, academic goal setting
- Collaborate with the Director of College Access and Persistence on the program model for college students
- Collaborate with the advising manager and part-time advisories on scheduling and facilitating virtual and in-person presentations from college admissions representatives
- Design and deliver individualized advising office hours in accordance with the persistence advising calendar, including consistent progress check cycles
- Design and deliver HS Saturday and Summer Academy college and career seminars
- Organize and deliver AG college student persistence and success events
- Prepare for team meetings and one on one meetings in accordance with team meeting norms
- Participate in college tour planning and attend college tours and visits
- Collaborate with internship team around leadership and career development
Family and Community Engagement:
- Proactively communicate with students regarding AG events and timelines
- Develop parent awareness around college persistence and successBuild partnerships with support college students
- Program team cross-collaboration to support AG parent and community programs and events
- Contribute to parent newsletters
- Adhere to policy and procedures for remote work and supporting documentation when applicable
- Monitor the input of key college and financial assistance data points by the part-time high school advisors
- Support the Director of College Access & Persistence with college stipend tracking and disbursements.
- Attend team meetings and one on one meetings
- Enter and maintain program data in accordance with timelines and use data to drive program
improvement and evaluation
- Stay abreast of best practices and engage in internal and external professional development activities
- Adhere to all policies and procedures outlined in the Academy Group staff handbook, Crisis Manual and policies
- Assist with other programs and expansion of role as requested by leadership
Additional shared accountabilities/duties
- Build agency and belief in Academy students
- Promote individual student success
- Communicate with student, families and the Academy team regarding student progress
- Support with the collection of students’ report cards
This position will be based in Chicago.
The Academy offers competitive benefits and salary for this role. aligned to senior administrative staff of a top tier education program. The salary range for this position is TBD.
Send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.