Director of Finance
The Academy Group (AG) is a unique enterprise founded to realize the long-term potential of young people from underserved communities across the United States. Designed to tap into the deep wells of often overlooked talent that exists nationwide, the Academy Group empowers youth to thrive in school, work and life.
In 2017, we launched the Chicago Academy, with an enrollment to grow to 1000 students. We expect to establish Academies in cities across the nation in the years ahead. Academy students develop the agency and belief to excel. They receive high dosage, individualized academic programming from elementary school through college; a case-based business curriculum focused on building entrepreneurial, financial and analytic expertise; college and career counseling; rigorous job preparation and internships and; personalized advising and executive mentoring. Students attend their home schools, colleges and universities – with Academy programming occurring after school, on weekends and throughout the summer. The core values of the Academy Group are Excellence, Determination and Justice.
The Academy Group is built on a sustainable business model that aligns the commercial and social sectors. The Academy Group take ownership stakes in a diverse portfolio of commercial companies. The earned revenue generated from the Academy Group Companies funds the education programs, provide apprenticeships for students through college, and create employment opportunities to Academy Group graduates.
Ultimately, the Academy Group aims to generate a new class of innovators and leaders by delivering long-term opportunities for exceptional young people to own, operate and create successful companies across multiple sectors.
The Academy Group seeks a Director of Finance who is capable of creating, developing and scaling the financial and related structure that can serve as the model for replication of future site locations. The Director of Finance will also play an integral role in creating the culture and governance of The Academy Group.
The ideal candidate is highly adaptable and eager to meet – and exceed – the needs of our rapidly expanding organization, with exceptional communication, and project management skills, as well as fluency in innovative thinking. He/she will join a talented, passionate, diverse, and innovative group of individuals.
The Director of Finance will report to the Chief Operating Officer.
The Director of Finance will be responsible for achieving the following outcomes within the first year:
- Create financial budgeting processes and protocols
- Develop accounting processes, systems, and protocols aligned to financial integrity
- Design and implement processes fit to scale to connect to budget management
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
- Determine and manage financial strategy and policy of The Academy Group
- Create and implement financial processes, systems, and accounting protocols for optimal financial integrity
- Manage annual budget control and audit processes, financial evaluation, and reporting
- Maintain effective administrative systems and processes, including: Legal, Information Technology (IT), and Human Resources (HR)
- Develop site documentation and processes applicable to multiple locations
- Manage and mitigate all potential financial risks with adequate systems and protections
- Primary support to Chief Operating Officer
- Official point of contact for all financial and related matters
- Provide executive level governance and resource management
Prepare and manage budgeting, cash-flows, and financial forecasting
- Consolidate Program and Business budgets
- Monthly reconciliations
- Financial reports for internal and external stakeholders
- Quarterly and annual reporting and presentations
Setup and supervise a scalable accounting and financial record system
- Hire and develop a top-tier accounting team
- Procurement management
- Invoice payment & management system
- Inventory management
- Accounts payables and receivables
- Payment processing systems
- Books and records maintenance systems
- Manage policies and operational handbooks
- Develop and maintain payroll systems and ledgers
- Prepares payroll submission reports
- Maintain accurate payroll records
- Confirm cash and liquidity to meet our obligations
- Authorized signatory for The Academy Group
- Manage daily cash balances for adequacy and efficiencies
- Forecast payments, and anticipate cash flow issues
- Manage wire, credit card, and other payments
Tax and Audit matters
- Prepare and file all quarterly and annual taxes
- Coordinate and manage audit activities and processes
- Submit financial reporting and submissions to relevant government entities
Communications, Compliance and Information Technology (IT)
- Provide tools and tutorials to staff for productivity improvements
- Manage IT setup and support for emails, website, and cloud administered by Platform Developer
- Training and professional guidance for financial and related staff
- Liaison with internal Program teams and senior staff
- Supervise the development, or otherwise augmentation of the contact database
- Create innovative solutions to new financial challenges by applying financial/treasurer knowledge
- Provide advice on financial matters to other Academy Group sites and partners
Who we are looking for
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting
- 3 to 5 years of progressively responsible finance or treasurer experience
- Business Management experience preferred
- Advanced excel proficiency
- Strong experience with standard accounting software packages
- Education and/or start up experience preferred
- Ability to exercise considerable discretion and judgement
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Passion, integrity, zest, mission-focus, and autonomous nature
- Knowledge of current community challenges and opportunities relating to the mission of the organization
- Ability to work under dynamic, evolving conditions
- Ability to strategize and solve complex problems
This position will be based in Chicago.
Compensation and Benefits
The Academy Group offers a competitive salary, comprehensive medical, vision, dental, and 401K package.
Please send your resume and a short (<250 words) note about your interest in the role to firstname.lastname@example.org.