Director of Finance
Who We Are
The Academy Group (AG) is a unique social enterprise that leverages earned revenue from financial investments to create world-class opportunities for young people from the nation’s most resilient communities. The Academy Group is demonstrating the promise of a new model for identifying, developing, and sustaining a diverse national pipeline of future leaders, employers, and change agents. We were founded based upon a unique model. One that creates pathways for black and brown students, if they demonstrate relentless pertinacity, to build wealth and become socially just change agents, ideally through careers and leadership positions in our portfolio companies. No other organization in the world is built to do this.
The Academy Group seeks a Director of Finance who is responsible for the organization’s long-term financial health and growth. This individual will establish strategies that will manage our funding structure, oversee accounting operations, produce accurate reports on where money is going within the organization and improve or change current practices to increase efficiency and fiscal responsibility.
The ideal candidate is highly adaptable and eager to meet – and exceed – the needs of our rapidly expanding organization. This individual will excel in the areas of communication, project management skills, and exhibit fluency in innovative thinking. He/she will join a talented, passionate, diverse, and creative group of individuals.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
- Determine and manage the financial strategy and policy of The Academy Group.
- Performs and manages accounting functions by creating and implementing financial processes, systems, and accounting protocols for optimal financial integrity.
- Manage budget control and audit processes, financial evaluation, and reporting.
- Provide Staff members with analysis and strategic thinking that balances fiscal efficiencies with programming that addresses the needs of “students from the most resilient communities”
- Attend and/or participate in student programming sessions that enhance programmatic alignment
- Work with board members and staff to develop the first official AG ROI Impact Report
- Manage and mitigate all potential financial risks with adequate systems and protections.
- Official point of contact for all financial and related matters.
- Provide executive level governance and financial resource management.
- Working knowledge of the organization’s applicable financial practices and procedures, as well as a thorough understanding of state and federal rules and regulations.
- Proficient with accounting software and standard office and accounting equipment.
- Keep the Senior Leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Lead audit and tax filing requirements in partnership with external accounting firms.
- Ensure accounting procedures and operational efficiencies maintain compliance by staying abreast of GAAP and regulatory requirements, industry trends, and technology.
- Assist with revising, building, and implementing policies and procedures. Additionally, providing guidance and training as needed.
- Prepare financial reports, tax preparation & reporting, and federal reserve, state & federal regulatory requirements.
- Strong analytical skills in budgeting & forecasting to create multi-year operational and strategic plans.
- Strong financial analysis for contract negotiations, performance monitoring, RFP responses, and investment decisions.
- Able to ensure compliance with internal controls and provide recommendations for improvements.
- Provide support on financial matters to other Academy Group sites and partners
- Performs other related duties as requested.
- Interfaces with the Finance Committee and attends all meetings as needed. Prepares and delivers financial updates to the Board of Directors.
- Establishes and maintains contact with financial institutions.
- Work closely with the Partnership team to manage grant and donation revenue, particularly in the areas of financial reporting and grant compliance.
What we are looking for
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Finance/Accounting
- Master’s Degree prefered
- Active CPA certification required
- 10+ years of relevant financial experience in a non profit organization with solid knowledge of GAAP standards and Fund Accounting
- Proven experience managing the quality and content of all financial related data, reporting, and coordinating audits for an organization or a significant program/department
- Proven experience working with cloud-based suite of accounting and HR systems for example, , Bill.com, Sage Intacct, Expensify, and ADP TotalSource
- Demonstrated commitment to, and belief in, the unique model and mission of The Academy Group
- Experience working in, with, or for residents of Chicago’s “Most Resilient Communities”
- Prior experience with a start-up organization is preferred
- Supervisory experience required
- Strong experience with standard accounting software packages.
- Knowledge of current community challenges and opportunities relating to the mission of the organization.
- Ability to exercise considerable discretion and judgment.
- Able to maintain confidential information.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Creative mindset in developing strategies and solutions.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Passion, integrity, zest, mission-focus, and autonomous nature.
- Ability to work under dynamic, evolving conditions.
- Advanced excel proficiency.
- Ability to strategize and solve complex problems.
This position is based in Chicago.
Compensation and Benefits
The Academy Group offers a competitive annual salary starting at $150,000, comprehensive medical, vision, dental, and 401K package.
How to Apply
Please send your resume about your interest in the role to firstname.lastname@example.org.